The activities are endless in this paradise, plans for backpackers, couples, families or friends, full of history, theme parks surrounded by nature, or entertainment and fun, accompanied by a great and diverse gastronomy.
We recommend some of the activities you should consider doing when you visit Bacalar:
- Visit the Fort of San Felipe: Used in ancient times to defend the area, there you will find the Museum of Piracy, where the whole history of the town and its relationship with the pirates is concentrated.
- The Bacalar Rapids: They connect with the lagoon and with the waters of the Rio Hondo through the Estero de Chac, known as the Canal of the Pirates. It is a magical and incomparable site where besides enjoying the beauty of its waters it is possible to learn about the stromatolites, unique mineral structures in the zone and of great importance for aquatic life.
- The Cocalitos Cenote is one of the most popular in the zone, since stromatolites can be appreciated very close to its limits.
- The Cenote Esmeralda is considered one of the most spectacular viewpoints of the Seven Colours Lagoon, besides being ideal for scuba diving.
- The Black Cenote is also located inside the Seven Colours Lagoon, it is the deepest cenote, it is 90 metres deep. It is so called due to its great depth; however, its waters are transparent and you can clearly see where its circumference begins in the shape of a half moon.
- Cenote Azul: Located on the outskirts of Bacalar. Its waters reflect the surrounding nature as if it were a mirror.
- The artistic and cultural part of Bacalar can be seen in the Church of San Joaquin, which dates back to the XVIII century and where the Feast of San Joaquin, patron saint of Bacalar, is celebrated every year during the month of August. In the same way, in the Casa de la Cultura, which is a 19th century mansion where workshops in folkloric dance, choral and theatrical poetry, and handicrafts are currently offered.
- Visit the neighbouring Caribbean destinations, such as Chetumal, Merida, Playa del Carmen, Puerto Morelos, Puerto Aventuras, Tulum, Cancun, where you can get to know the flora and fauna of the region, the Mayan culture, do water activities or explore the marvellous beaches.